Heritage Interpretation Training Center
Interpretive Writing Course
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing_course.html

Our interpretive writing course is one of the most popular of the 37 Heritage Interpretation college level courses we offer.  This is a complete college level course on developing interpretive copy for exhibits, interpretive panels, interpretive trail guides and any other written media designed to engage the imagination and interest of the visitor reading it.  As with all of our courses you can start the course at any time and complete the course at your own pace.  You can also work on actual writing projects as part of course assignments.

As an e-LIVE course, your assignments are sent to the course coach to review and keep you moving along, and you can chat with the course instructor by e-mail, phone or SKYPE.  The course awards a certificate of completion and Continuing Education Unit credits as well.

Course units include a YouTube video of instruction, reading and reference materials, and homework assignments for review.

Our new text book on interpretive writing - The Interpretive Writers Guidebook  will be included as the main course text book.

What makes interpretive writing “interpretive”?

The truth is that most “interpretive” writing is not actually interpretive – just “informational”.  So what makes interpretive writing interpretive?  Here are some key points:

1.     It is usually designed to support or illustrate a main interpretive theme.
2.     Is based on Tilden’s Interpretive Principles (Provoke, Relate, and Reveal).
3.     Uses tangible and intangible examples.
4.     Uses active language to engage the visitor’s interests and relate to them personally.
5.     Is short (usually about 100 words or less for panels and exhibit label copy).
6.     Helps move the subject from short term to long term memory.
7.     Is fun to read.
8.     Talks with and to visitor, not “at” the visitor.

Check out the above course link and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time.   The link for our complete course catalog is provided below.

John Veverka
Director
Heritage Interpretation Training Center
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_training_center_course_catalogue_.html

PS - We can also serve as interpretive writing consultants and do interpretive writing for you if you don't have the time to do it yourself.  (: