Heritage Interpretation Training Center
Interpretive Writing Course
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing_course.html

Ourinterpretive writing course is one of the most popular of the 37 HeritageInterpretation college level courses we offer. This is a complete college level course on developing interpretive copyfor exhibits, interpretive panels, interpretive trail guides and any otherwritten media designed to engage the imagination and interest of the visitorreading it.  As with all of our coursesyou can start the course at any time and complete the course at your own pace.  You can also work on actual writing projectsas part of course assignments.

Asan e-LIVE course, your assignments are sent to the course coach to review andkeep you moving along, and you can chat with the course instructor by e-mail,phone or SKYPE.  The course awards a certificateof completion and Continuing Education Unit credits as well.

Courseunits include a YouTube video of instruction, reading and reference materials,and homework assignments for review.

Ournew text book on interpretive writing - TheInterpretive Writers Guidebook  will be included as the main course text book.

What makesinterpretive writing “interpretive”?

The truth is that most “interpretive” writing is not actually interpretive –just “informational”.  So what makesinterpretive writing interpretive?  Hereare some key points:

1.     Itis usually designed to support or illustrate a main interpretive theme.
2.     Isbased on Tilden’s InterpretivePrinciples (Provoke, Relate, and Reveal).
3.     Usestangible and intangible examples.
4.     Usesactive language to engage the visitor’s interests and relate to thempersonally.
5.     Isshort (usually about 100 words or less for panels and exhibit label copy).
6.     Helpsmove the subject from short term to long term memory.
7.     Isfun to read.
8.     Talkswith and to visitor, not “at” the visitor.

Checkout the above course link and if you have any questions please feel free tocontact me at any time.   The link forour complete course catalog is provided below.

JohnVeverka
Director
HeritageInterpretation Training Center
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_training_center_course_catalogue_.html

PS - We can also serve as interpretive writing consultants and do interpretive writing for you if you don't have the time to do it yourself.  (: