Hi Lynda,

I work with a summer program at a school and there are 2 kids in my class with epi pens. Both keep one on them at all times and they also have pens with the school nurse. When I go on field trips, I have to carry the pens with me along with the medical forms.

Basically, if the kid is carrying an epipen, they can use it themselves. They're pretty much foolproof these days. Take the cap off, jab the kid in the thigh, hold for 10 seconds, and then rub the area. Call 9-11. The needle retracts so you never are at risk to touch it or jab yourself unless you jab it upsidedown.

If kids are too young to administer the epipen, the pens need to be kept in a central location like a camp office or with the counselor. You need to know where it is at all times or it needs to be moved with the kid from counselor to counselor.

A school nurse or other pediatric nurse should be able to come in and train everyone with trainer pens in like 10 minutes. We all had training. If you are working with kids, you should have first aid trained staff anyway and they should have epipen training as well.

Parents should tell you that their kid has the epipen, what their child's allergery(ies) are and any other medical conditions as part of their medical form and release.

You can probably get these forms and procedures from another camp or school and base your own procedures off of it.

Good luck!

Deb Fuller