Hi All-

At the Intrepid Museum we run several camps.
Where it used to be rare, we have begun seeing multiple children in each week that have an epi pen with them for allergy associated emergencies. In that light, we want to re-examine our procedures for how we store/have access to individual children's' epi-pens.

If you run a camp or other out of school time program, I would love to get your input on the following questions:

  *   Does your policy require a child to be able to administer their own epi pen? If so, can you share the language you use to communicate that to parents?
  *   Does anyone have a staff member trained to administer an epi-pen who is not a nurse or EMT? If so, where is that training available and do you use release forms for parents to give permission to administer?
  *   Do your children store their own epi-pens (in their own bags or lunch boxes) or do you require that the parents hand them off to a staff member?
  *   If parents are required to hand off the epi pen to a staff member:
     *   Which staff member holds onto the epi-pens for the children in your care? Program coordinator/manager? Counselor?
     *   Does the person who is "holding onto" the epi pen keep it on their person at all times or do they store it in a cabinet of some sort that any camp staff member can access if needed?
     *   Do you have requirements as to how parents identify their own child's epi pen for you?
  *   Is there an age requirement in which you allow a minor to store their own epi-pen? If so, how what is that age requirement?

Thanks so much for your input!
Lynda

Lynda Kennedy, MS Ed, PhD
Vice President, Education & Evaluation
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
646-381-5160

Honor our Heroes, Educate the Public, Inspire our Youth
Special Exhibition Drones: Is the Sky the Limit? opens May 10<https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/>