Military museums have the same accession problems that other museums have…and more.

Each donation, especially a uniform, medals and other individual materials of a veteran have a high “memorial” value, regardless of their other characteristics. As physical anthropologist for the Army in the 1970s, I saw first-hand that objects associated with a deceased soldier take on higher levels of meaning. The offer itself is a way of memorializing the soldier’s life and sacrifice. Denying such acquisitions may be perceived as negatively reflecting on the associated person, rather than the objects, themselves.

My sense is that lots of museums have gone thru this dilemma with the passing of the Greatest Generation, are going to see it again with the Vietnam era vets and should prepare for it when the veterans of Iraq & Afghanistan decide to offer their material.

I’d be very interested in learning more about how you deal with these issues. If I can help, I’d be happy to do that, too.

Best wishes,

Bp

Robert B. Pickering, PhD

Professor of Anthropology,

Director, Museum Science and Management, University of Tulsa

Adjunct Curator, Gilcrease Museum

800 S. Tucker Drive

Tulsa, OK  74104-9700

(918) 631-2387 Office