In 1983, a study was conducted to determine the cost of “keeping” an object in a museum (Mychal Brown, in Museums and the Disposals Debate). It was determined that safe storage in a museum cost about $50 per object (climate control and overhead—conservation, research and staffing were not taken into account). Given that this survey is more than 30 years old, and collections have expanded, the number would be drastically higher today, according to Brown.

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Erin Richardson
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Price Per Object in Storage Calculation

Hi Jessica:

This calculation does not exist to my knowledge currently.  However, it is part of my dissertation about the opportutnity cost of collection and collection relatinoship to organization overall health.

The closest study related to cost of collecting is

Lord, B., Lord, G. D., & Nicks, J. (1989). The cost of collecting: Collection management in UK museums. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.

I'll be taking my research on the road starting in winter 2017/2018 - I hope! Dissertation scheduled for completion May 2018.

Erin.

Erin Richardson

Director, Museum and Library Collections

Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers' Museum

PhD Candidate, Leadership and Policy, Niagara University