It sounds like you have two issues that you are concerned about, one is tracking the different object containers, including past and present container locations. The second issue is the transfer of institutional knowledge between yourself and the next professional.

Within PastPerfect software, there is a space for object location, which includes areas for tracking the location of the object as a temporary and a home location. You can customize what you place within the database for those fields. For example, your temporary location could be on display and the home location is where its custom box lives. If the location is unavailable within your database, you could use the notes or the object description to include information about past containers. Whatever you decide, ensure that it is consistent throughout the database.

The second issue is transfer of institutional knowledge. Within your shared folder drives, there should be a folder just for collections, or institutional reports. When you have made your decision to input the location information into the database, write a READ ME file or a database entry how to file that explains exactly what you did. If it is consistent throughout the database, anyone who comes along afterwards, should be able to follow along. It should be standard practice to write these documents as you go. That way, should you have to leave a project for a year and return to it (as happens frequently in the museum world), you can read the document yourself to figure out what you were doing. If you are concerned that it will get lost in the computer drives, a printed copy in a notebook labeled “Collections” should do the trick.

Mary Beth Timm

Acting Director

Curator/Archeologist

Lost City Museum

721 S. Moapa Valley Blvd., Overton, NV 89040

Mailing address: PO Box 807 Overton, NV 89040

Phone: 702-397-2193 ext. 26  Fax: 702-397-8987

Email: [log in to unmask]

My usual work week is Sunday through Thursday.