Hi, all!

My museum is mostly made up of modern/modernized galleries for exhibitions, but also has several period rooms from the original house in the front. As our staff is so small, we just don’t have the ability to give tours to visitors, and so we have stanchions set up in the parlor and study to give people a good view of the room and a certain amount of space to move around. In the dining room and parlor, though, we still have a lot of chairs/sofas in the walking spaces.

We’ve had thin ribbons tied or draped on these pieces to make it more obvious that they weren’t for sitting, as well as “do not sit” signs on the seats. Obviously, this fulfills the function, but I don’t love the ribbons as they really stand out among our fairly sparse furnishings. What are seen as the best practices these days, as far as protecting furniture people could theoretically sit on in self-guided-tour areas goes?

Cassidy Percoco

Collections Manager

St. Lawrence County Historical Association

3 E Main St | PO Box 8

Canton, NY 13617

(315) 386-8133