Hi, all!

My museum is mostly made up of modern/modernized galleries for exhibitions,
but also has several period rooms from the original house in the front. As
our staff is so small, we just don't have the ability to give tours to
visitors, and so we have stanchions set up in the parlor and study to give
people a good view of the room and a certain amount of space to move around.
In the dining room and parlor, though, we still have a lot of chairs/sofas
in the walking spaces.

We've had thin ribbons tied or draped on these pieces to make it more
obvious that they weren't for sitting, as well as "do not sit" signs on the
seats. Obviously, this fulfills the function, but I don't love the ribbons
as they really stand out among our fairly sparse furnishings. What are seen
as the best practices these days, as far as protecting furniture people
could theoretically sit on in self-guided-tour areas goes?

Cassidy Percoco

Collections Manager

St. Lawrence County Historical Association

3 E Main St | PO Box 8

Canton, NY 13617

(315) 386-8133