I'm not really sure how hundreds of thousands of civilians (possibly
millions) slowly dying from starvation and malnutrition would have been any
better or worse than hundreds of thousands of civilians being instantly
vaporized or rapidly dying from radiation poisoning.  However, the
Americans did just that, but waited until April 1945 to start a full
blockade of Japan.  They used submarines with moderate effect against naval
and merchant ships prior to 1945, but the joint American-British navy was
unwilling to get too close to Japan, because Japan still had a navy as
well, and the surrounding chains of islands were still in Japanese
control.  In April 1945, the Americans launched Operation Starvation, in
which American heavy bombers airdropped naval mines in Japanese harbors,
blockading the harbors and sinking hundreds of Japanese merchant ships in
the course of a few months.  Japanese merchant ships were willing to run
the gauntlet of submarines to bring raw industrial supplies and food to
Japan, but the mines kept them bottled up in harbors.  By July, the Allied
navy felt confident enough to operate off the shores of Japan.  The Allies
could have starved out the Japanese government, through a combination of
naval blockade (through additional mines, submarines, and surface ships),
heavy bomber raids on industry and agriculture, and naval aviation raids
against military targets, but that would have taken about a year or more
before a surrender.  Americans were getting impatient, and war weariness
was hitting the civilian population back home.

A Chinese-occupied Japan could have remained Kuomintang, or it could have
become Communist.  There is no way of knowing.  But you are right, people
tend to look at history in a vacuum instead of seeing it as a cascading and
interwoven chain of events.

Thank you,

Michael R
​.