Rebecca,

One comment I would make as a library director would be - how much is it
costing your institution to digitize these items? If you are transporting
them, then the museum is paying your salary, time, mileage etc. So, the
"profit" may be minimal or even a negative amount. This may change your
director's viewpoint or at least give a realistic picture of these digital
"donations."

We have some digital copies within our collection that others have donated
while keeping the originals - so this is not unheard of.

That being said, as Valarie mentioned, the potential is great and having an
agreement to donate in the future would be a great addition to your
collection.

Ray Arnett
Fremont Area District Library