I would call it questionable in terms of ethics, if you are diverting resources (in this case, your work-hours to transport non-collections items) towards digitizing something outside of your collections.  Priority should go towards the items already in the collections.  My municipal museum holds a local history collection in a public trust, and visitors/researchers/residents/city council would be disappointed if we digitized items that were not in our collection, because we have plenty of historic photographs  already in our collection that need to be digitized.  My institution would tell such a volunteer that he is free to take his private collection to a digitization vendor on his time, but it cannot interfere with our digitization efforts.    Are you paying a fee for digitization?  Has the volunteer signed any paperwork indicating that the items will in fact be donated to your institution?

Thank you,

Michael R
​.​