Hi Dave and others,

You bring up a good point about hazardous materials but wouldn't use of
those products be under job accommodations? If a solvent or glue has fumes
and must be used in a well-ventilated area and with gloves and a mask, that
isn't going to affect a dog, which can be told to sit across the room.

As for working with different types of materials, I get the feeling that
people don't have much experience with service animals and think they are
like family pets that will follow someone around and get underfoot. They
are specifically trained NOT to do that. They are no more of a tripping
hazard than another human being. If someone needs to have their animal at
their side at all times, it might take a bit to get used to having the
animal following them around but it's something that can be done. When you
are in a collections storage area, you don't rush around with priceless
objects anyway.

Dogs can be clipped and groomed to minimize dander and hair and they're
only in the storage areas for limited amounts of time per day anyway. I'm
sure there are doggy clean coats or jackets that can be used on them as
well. And let's face it, a lot of storage areas are in less than ideal
spaces anyway. We'd like to have the perfectly climate controlled room with
the hepa-filter that stays at a constant temperature and humidity level but
many museums make do with what is available. Getting fussy about a dog when
you're running a humidifier or have an archaic HVAC system is going a
little overboard. I'd wager than many of our storage rooms and conservation
areas aren't even ADA compliant and you couldn't accommodate someone in a
wheelchair or who had other issues but could otherwise do the job.

Best,

Deb Fuller