Dear Rebecca,

for switching from one program to another, your management for certain will have good reasons. To switch from one program to another is a common and sometimes quite expensive procedure here. I would guess that nearly 50 percent of the German museums did so in the past.

Here in Germany, the new provider normally manages the import of data from old data bases and gives an introduction to all interested museum professionals, before the buying decision and at the moment of introduction as well. His import has to be controlled by the museum.

By the way: For security reasons, public access should not be made to the core database, but to a reduced mirrored database which does not allow to access the defined "secret levels".

Best

Christian
Author of "Inventarisierung. Theorie und Praxis musealer Dokumentation."