Dear Rebecca,

for switching from one program to another, your management for certain
will have good reasons. To switch from one program to another is a
common and sometimes quite expensive procedure here. I would guess that
nearly 50 percent of the German museums did so in the past.

Here in Germany, the new _provider _normally manages the import of data
from old data bases and gives an _introduction _to all interested museum
professionals, _before _the buying decision and _at the moment of
introduction as well.__His import has to be controlled by the museum.
_
By the way: For security reasons, public access should not be made to
the core database, but to a reduced mirrored database which does not
allow to access the defined "secret levels".

Best

Christian
Author of "Inventarisierung. Theorie und Praxis musealer Dokumentation."