Hi Elliott,
Welcome to Museum World! My wife and I traveled last year from Los Alamos in the US state of New Mexico all the way to Orkney off the north coast of Scotland and while there visited Skara Brae. The long trip was worth while to see the wonderfully reconstructed 4,000 year old underground Neolithic settlement with its very modern museum, all located on the west coast of Mainland, the largest island in Scotland’s Orkney archipelago. Walking paths allow views into the underground rooms and the nearby museum has wonderful neolithic artifacts on exhibit in vitrines, educational videos playing on continuous loop, and scheduled lectures.

Skara Brae is located in a scarcely populated area of Orkney way out on the Bay o' Skaill; therefore, the museum cafe is popular as is the well-stocked gift shop. Visiting Skara Brae and its museum is a world-class educational experience.

You may think of adding the professional guide experience to your research into how visitors experience UK museums. Hiring a highly educated tour guide to take us from Kirkwall, Orkney to various standing stone neolithic sites as well as Skara Brae was a fantastic and enlightening experience. Our master guide was Kinlay Francis of Orkney Uncovered. Kinlay's encyclopedic knowledge of the islands' history added immeasurably to our museum experience.

Good luck with your dissertation.

All best,
Don