Hi Dan,
The go-to product for many moons has been Camger 175. It is good though that you are venting the cases. Coatings only slow down the rate of off-gassing and it doesn't prevent concentration of by products overtime. Follow directions carefully. To be effective it requires multiple coats with adequate cure time between coats. Good luck.Best,
Ashley

Date:    Sun, 5 Mar 2017 20:30:19 -0600
From:    Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Vapor Barrier Coatings

Hello All:

I am working with a volunteer historical society that wants to rehab some
old oak store display cases into more appropriate exhibit furniture. We
need a clear sealant. Is anyone familiar with an over-the-counter
waterborne urethane or polyurethane or similar product that we can use as a
vapor barrier? Something that's been tested for effectiveness and
preferably available at my local big box home improvement store?

Objects will not be in contact with the coating and the cases will be
vented rather than tightly sealed. The cases are old but I'd still like to
keep any residual nastiness locked in as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,

db

T. Ashley McGrew
(646) 265-5526