Art- we use an older Epson 10000XL.  The newer models (12000’s) are pricey, but will handle 11x17 at extremely high resolutions (2400x4800) come fully equipped with various accessories for scanning negatives etc. I would rate them exceptional quality and performance.  Think about time.  You’ll find that good scans take a lot less time with a high end machine.

There are lots of photo-to-3d products out there.  Try the Autodesk 123D.

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Arts Comcast
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 6:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Large format scanners

I am a volunteer at a local historical society in Hershey Pennsylvania. We are evaluating scanners that could be used to digitalize some of our off-sized documents such as books, scrapbooks, and large documents. This could also include three dimension items for which we must now use a standard digital camera. This last item is a much lower priority though.

I have an computer background and has done a fair amount of ‘googling’ to see what I could find. Although I did locate a few interesting options there is precious little information available on large format scanners.

Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom as to which scanners to consider or where to find good reviews.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Art Murray