From: Amy Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 02/20/2017 1:54 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Historic House Museum - Special event policies and security deposits

The historic house museum had a (thankfully minor) incident at one of our private bookings where the museum's policies were not followed. However, it has awoken the powers that be to the fact that we should probably be requiring a security deposit to be used both for any potential damage or for not following our usage policies (even if no damage occurred).

I was asked to find out from other museums (preferably historic house museums, but really any museum will work):

1. Do you require a security deposit for private events? If so, how much? How did you arrive at this figure?

2. Can you share your policies that outline under what circumstances a security deposit would be kept?

3. Have you ever had to keep a security deposit? If so, what procedures were followed (documenting damage, etc.)?

4. Is there anything else we should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Amy