From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marc A Williams
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] measuring UV levels

Emanuele,

One explanation is that the bulbs already have some sort of UV filtration, so the filters are starting with this already reduced level.  Do you recall the conversion from microwatts per centimeter to microwatts per lumen?    The museum/conservation world runs on the latter, so knowing what that figure is may be illuminating.  The other possibility is that the film does not meet specs.  Try putting the film over a window pane and measuring the same exact spot with and without the film (make sure a cloud does not come over the sun) and see what the difference is.  If the UV only drops 25% or 50% or even 75%, the film is junk.  It should reduce UV something like 99%.  Good luck.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)