Hi Karen,

We just implemented a new system for the exact reasons you listed: for patrons with hearing loss who would not benefit from sign language interpreters. Our lecture hall is newly equipped with a Williams Assistive Listening System. Visitors who require the amenity are given a receiver that connects to the sound system via an FM channel. Visitors have the choice to use headphones we provide or their own to connect to the receivers. Signs are posted at every public event promoting the service. So far we have had great success with the system. Sound is audible through the receivers only if the sound system is in use, so the point must be made that all questions and additional conversations be repeated into the sound system so the entire group can hear.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to speak in more detail.

Cheers from the Windy City!

Rebecca Millham, Education Facilitator

Chicago Architecture Foundation

224 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago 60604

312.561.2142  |  architecture.org

[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]