Hi Stephanie,

I know this is a late response, but hopefully a useful perspective.

I would propose that under no circumstances do you create a "feral" cat
colony. That would be both cruel as well as potentially dangerous to
visitors, staff, local fauna, and the cats themselves.

Feral cats, as noted in another response, are a poor choice for pest
control. You can never guarantee they will actually hunt the mice, and will
often as not ignore them in favor of other sources. Most will simply move
elsewhere, and vet care would be challenging at best. They are after all
feral, domesticated cats, not wild cats. Big difference.

If you want cats on site, you should develop a program of tame cats on your
site. Feed them, care for them like outdoor cats, and give them a home,
albeit a large outdoor home. While they will do little mousing, they will
provide something of a deterrent to mice, as well as an interesting element
for visitors. Supplement with traps and other IPM measures.

The cute factor should not be under-estimated regarding such a program, in
addition to the historic discussion potential. However there are potential
drawbacks. If they are too friendly, and they will become more friendly
over time, they will love going into your buildings and get trapped there
periodically. They will also have a tendency to go home with visitors, who
will sometimes assume they are just lost strays. There is also a financial
cost, but animal-loving volunteers are often useful on that score.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info/details.

Mark Janzen