This is far more like the situation at my site.  We have residents who live on site and some of them have outdoor cats, and we have departments that have adopted outdoor cats who are cared for by those departments.  One of them has its own facebook page.  Only one of them has Vermin control as part of its job (the Stables cat) and she isn't very good at it, though in her defense she is put away in an office at night instead of being given free reign of the stables.

      Eleanor, the most perhaps the most popular, doesn't have a very good disposition for this sort of thing.  She has always been very nice to me, but she has a reputation for changing her attitude on a dime.

      We have also had cats taken away, and brought to shelters by visitors trying to be helpful and one of our cats was severely injured by a stupid and cruel kid kicking it several years ago.

Ron Carnegie