Leanne,

Sorry for the tardy reply, I hope this helps.

The best way to deal with moths (larva or adults) is to practice IPM -
Integrated Pest Management.  IPM reduces the use of pesticides, which
have a slew of problems including their toxicity to us, opting for a
more holistic approach.  It is based on understanding the life cycle of
the pest and its habits (what it eats, why it is present). A combination
of improved housekeeping, environmental control and treatment of objects
is used.  What we usually recommend is to:
1) Determine the extent of the infestation. Is it localized or more wide
spread. What stage is it at?  What objects are affected? Is the
infestation active or not?  Monitor using traps.
2) Isolate infested objects. There are a number of strategies to do
this. Something as simple as bagging them in plastic might be adequate.
3) Thoroughly clean the area that is infested  - this is vital.  Clean
everything - use a HEPA vacuum.
4) You may have to treat your objects to eliminate an active
infestation.  There are a number of ways to treat them including thermal
treatment (freezing or heating), anoxic (removing oxygen) or the use of
Inert gas.

That is the beginning.  There are a number of strategies that can be
followed.  I recommend taking a look at http://museumpests.net/. This
web site is an excellent resource for solutions and treatments.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator - Carnegie Museum of Natural History
IPM Instructor - Museum Study

--
Brad Bredehoft
CEO