Colleagues,

What leadership skills do library, museum, and archives professionals all
need to engage, catalyze, and develop innovative services and partnerships
within their communities? Since 2014, dozens of trainers, professional
associations and leadership development programs from across these sectors
have partnered with the renowned Center for Creative Leadership
<http://www.ccl.org/Leadership/index.aspx> (http://www.ccl.org/Leadership
/index.aspx) to explore this question. Through the Nexus Leading Across
Boundaries (Nexus LAB) project, we’ve just released the resulting draft Layers
of Leadership Across Libraries, Archives, and Museums
<https://educopia.org/deliverables/nexus-lab-layers-leadership-across-libraries-archives-and-museums-september-2016-draft>
framework
that documents leadership skills across six career stages – from entering
the profession to leading on behalf of the field. As a partner on this
project, I have found immense value in having this shared framework and
vocabulary for leadership, to refer to when discussing complex challenges
and staff development with allied organizations.

So, how we might use this framework to help our field develop future
generations of leaders? Every staff member and volunteer can advance our
organizational ability to support our communities. Developing their
potential across their careers nurtures the collaborative projects,
efforts, and initiatives they are involved in, from the smallest ideas to
larger regional and national efforts. I personally believe that building strong
Layers of Leadership throughout our organizations will help us all grow to
face our common, complex challenges.

We need resources such as the Layers of Leadership to meet the diverse
needs of museum professionals. You can help our field contribute to this
developing framework in four different ways:

   1. Take a moment to provide your thoughts on the Layers of Leadership
   Across Libraries, Archives, and Museums
   <https://educopia.org/deliverables/nexus-lab-layers-leadership-across-libraries-archives-and-museums-september-2016-draft>
framework
   through this comment form <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SF3DFT2>.
   2. If you are hosting leadership skill oriented staff development prior
   to July 2017, consider using the Layers of Leadership in your
   evaluations by piloting the Nexus LAB Evaluation Suite
   <https://educopia.org/sites/educopia.org/files/grantdocuments/Evaluation%20Resources.pdf>
   (which pulls content directly from the Layers of Leadership.)
   3. If you are planning staff development around community engagement,
   advocacy, or innovation, consider piloting any of the seven free,
   adaptable, customizable curricular resource kits
   <https://educopia.org/sites/educopia.org/files/grantdocuments/CurricularModulesInfoSheet.pdf>
   created to build skills for those leading at the profession or field level.
   4. Help us spread the word by forwarding this note along.
   (#LayersOfLeadership)

Libraries, archives, and museums contribute to our shared communities by
providing access to information, preserving cultural heritages, creating
new knowledge, and facilitating lifelong learning. Collectively, we can
take action to transform ourselves and our communities, positively
contributing to the common good while evolving to meet our changing needs.
Networked together, we can bring our disciplinary strengths and
perspectives together, to develop, support and inspire the leaders whom are
actively improving their institutions and communities.

Won’t you join us?
For more information about *Nexus LAB: Leading Across Boundaries,* check
out the project Web site at http://educopia.org/researc
h/grants/nexus-lab-leading-across-boundaries. I am also happy to answer any
questions.

Many thanks,

Anne

--
Anne W. Ackerson
Creative Leadership & Management Solutions

*BOOK and BLOG:* *Leadership Matters* Blog
<http://www.leadershipmatters1213.wordpress.com>
Read my Blog <http://leadingbydesign.blogspot.com/>, *Leading by Design*
Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/leadingbydesign> and on LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/preview?locale=en_US&trk=prof-0-sb-preview-primary-button>
Visit my Website <http://www.awackerson.com/>
*Subscribe to Take 5
<http://lindabnorris.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=86eba2215500381bf19ab776a&id=6370b20e8a>,
the newsletter with a fresh take on nonprofit life*
*Take 5* Website <https://take5culture.wordpress.com/>