Hi all,

A museum I work with is considering purchasing an external metal storage container to house museum collections. I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding this. My advice so far:

Fit-out / storage materials

Consider acquiring the following:
  • Mesh wall racks, two or three approx - especially for tools / larger items - this will free up a lot of space
  • Conservation grade pallets for floor storage - for large items.
  • Plan chest or integrated roller racking drawers - for existing archive.
  • If wooden in construction seal any wooden components with sealant (you have mentioned a metal container, so this would be less of an issue)
  • Make sure walls are insulated otherwise your bills are going to be nasty - happy to advise
  • Flooring: soft plywood only - avoid other types of wood.
  • Avoid windows.
  • Storage racking - consider load bearing for lower shelves.
  • Pad the shelves in both stores with Plastazote
  • Consider purchasing a surplus of boxes / packing material suitable for archaeological collections.
  • Make sure there is plenty of room for movement and expansion! (at least 1/3 surplice floorspace / empty shelving).
  • Fire detection / suppression - install smoke detector - link to main system - sprinkler will be unlikely - ensure fire extinguisher in place.
Environmental controls
  • Strategically select what items are to go in this store.
  • Archaeological metalwork should remain stable in 19-30%RH. You can use conservation heating to achieve this.
  • Ultimately it's about the microclimate you can create for the types of metals in the collection - happy to advise.
  • Makes sure you have 24/7 electricity, a thermostat controlled heater and an optional dehumidifier able to be connected to plumbing, or have an exhaust drilled through wall.
  • Consider purchasing some inexpensive dataloggers.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks

--
Robin Patel