Hello Mandy,

                For me it depends on what the danger is. Care and handling recommendations are listed on a MSDS/GHS sheet and you can often find these with from Google-fu. In my current collection I’m come across, so far, radium dials, a mix of mercury and nitric acid in an electrical metre, lead powder, asbestos, and a few other things of varying danger. If it’s suitable I typically use a heavy duty Ziploc style archival bag and label with GHS warnings and then put that in another bag. In some cases, such as the radium dials these also went into a Tupperware style bin with content listings and another set of GHS labels.

With regards to handling, the bags each item are in typically provide a good barrier and often negate the need for gloves or other PPE. The bags also have the advantage of containing the substance that you are concerned about meaning a safer storage area for yourself and staff. When it comes to safety, since you and staff will be working with dangerous items for the long term even small amounts of exposure can build up in your system and have negative effects in the long term, I don’t feel there can be any sensible overreaction. If the dangerous items need to be removed from their bags then I would use the appropriate gloves, masks, and other PPE that the MSDS/GHS recommends.

                For researchers I would keep the items in the bags. They would be hard pressed to not be able to fulfill their research goals looking through a clear bag. If something absolutely needs to come out, suit them up and have some sort of release form. I’ve never gotten that far with a researcher but I’ve heard of places that will have a release form if a researcher absolutely wants access to something that is say mouldy. Other institutions may have sample release forms or, being a government museum, you may have access to a lawyer that could draft something for you.

Good luck!

William Shepherd

Collections Officer

Swift Current Museum