Joanne,

    We host an annual woodworking competition that results in an exhibition in our visitor center gallery. We allow the artists to decide if their pieces are for sale and what the sale price is. The Museum takes a 30% commission that the artists all agree to when they sign an exhibition agreement. We also leave a space on the form for them to donate an additional percentage to that commission if they’d like (some artists do, but most do not). We run the sales through our sales desk, adding our state tax. Later we cut the artist a check for their percentage of the sale. The 30% commission is a pretty standard gallery commission.

Email me directly if you’d like to see our exhibition agreement, I’m happy to share it.

Best,

Laura Heemer

Curator & Program Director

Wharton Esherick Museum

“If it’s not fun, it’s not worth doing” – Wharton Esherick