The best and most memorable art/science combination I ever saw was about 15 years ago at the California Academy of Sciences.  Titled “Dancing to the Fossil Record” it featured the art of Northwest artist Ray Troll.  One exhibit that I remember best conveyed the idea of evolution using successive generations of sound recording players---wax cylinder recordings through generations of record players -78 RPM, 45 RPM. 33 1/3 RPM to whatever was the latest at that time, along with Troll’s intriguing art work showing evolution of fishes.  Nearby was a small dance floor.  Begin to  ‘get’ the exhibit title?  There was much more but that was the highlight for me. The whole exhibit was a wonderful combination of whimsy, science and art. I’m not sure if it involved an art museum, but it would be similar in what can be done.

Lucy Sperlin

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kienzle, Karen
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Collaborations between art and science museums

Museum-l list,

I am hoping to pull together a session proposal for AAM next year focused on collaborations between art and science museums that showcase connections between artists and scientists.

Does anyone have suggestions for programs you’ve seen, worked with, or heard about?

Thank you!

Karen

Karen Kienzle | Palo Alto Art Center Director

1313 Newell Road | Palo Alto, CA 94303

D: 650.617.3535 | E: [log in to unmask]

Please think of the environment before printing this email – Thank you!

The Palo Alto Art Center is your place to discover art. See, make, and be inspired because everyone is an artist!