I agree that if they are placing a moratorium on themselves, then they give
up their first right of refusal. Certainly it's important that artifacts
still have a place to go (as long as they meet your collection
policy/goals), but you then have first right of refusal. If something
doesn't fit your mission, but fits theirs, then of course it would be
appropriate to notify them of the offered piece. But I don't think you'd
ever need to be obligated to notify them of something you could just go
ahead and accept while they are under a moratorium.