While explaining my frustration with nearly incomprehensible labels for a
conceptual art exhibition at a Smithsonian museum, a coworker at my
government office said, "What about the Plain Language Act
<http://www.plainlanguage.gov/plLaw/>?" I thought this was an interesting
point. The Act requires government agencies to use "clear Government
communication that the public can understand and use." This is somewhat
subjective, but there's no denying that some labels are so opaque that even
museum professionals may not understand them. The only thing I could find
online is this report
<http://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/hhs-2015-plain-writing-act-compliance-rpt.pdf>
from
the Department of Health and Human Services. I know that plain language is
included in the Smithsonian Guidelines, but these are not consistently
followed. How are our national museums being held accountable for using
accessible language for the majority of visitors?

Thanks for your thoughts!