Kelsey,

Following are my recommendations, some of which are echoed by others.  "Collections management" seems to have morphed into "collections stewardship," so it has a bit broader interpretation.  Of course, my bias is in the direction of collections preservation.

1) Make sure your collections database is up-to-date, and all objects are included and located, as others have suggested and you seem to have already done.

2) Have a conservation assessment if your institution has not had one in the last 7 years.  This will give you an institution-wide perspective on overall preservation activities, along with priorities for action.  It will not give you condition assessments of individual objects.  The CAP program (Conservation Assessment Program) is being re-constituted through the Foundation of AIC (American Institute for Conservation), with an anticipated application deadline this fall.  Get your application in right away, not at the deadline, as the grants are first-come, first-served.

3) Consider having a MAP Collections Stewardship assessment through AAM (American Alliance for Museums).  Deadline for this also is in the fall.  This will have more information on collections management, although also may discuss collections preservation, depending upon who you choose as your assessor.

4) Most likely, the CAP and MAP will recommend having condition surveys done by conservators on all your collections so you know what the preservation priorities are of specific objects.  Most likely you will do this over several years.  Consider the IMLS Collections Stewardship grants for this.  If the project is between $5,000 and $25,000 and is a high priority for your institution, which surveys undoubtedly will be, no match/cost share is required.  Deadline is around December 1.

5) At this point, work on improving your collections records, such as adding photos, changing your accessioning numbering, adding condition notes, and so forth.

6) If it is reasonable for you, and it certainly is a good idea, implement regular, usually yearly, comprehensive collections examinations by you.  This involves briefly examining everything, including unwrapping items in storage, noting changes in condition, and verifying locations of each object.  Any updated provenance or other information can be added to the records.

7) Follow priority recommendations in the conservation assessment and the collections stewardship assessment.  Use IMLS Collections Stewardship grants for funding as appropriate.  Larger grants of $25,000+ to $150,000 require a 50% cost share, but often that can be staff salaries, volunteer time, donated materials and services, and indirect costs.

This should get you off on a solid collections stewardship footing.  Obviously, every collection is a bit different and has unique needs, but this list should get you going in a healthy direction.  Have fun!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)