As others have said an inventory is the best place to start. You have to see everything and verify it. It will show you all the problems, missing items, repeat records, broken artifacts. And you will get to know your collection better than you ever thought you would. I can still remember artifacts from inventories I did 20 years ago and time wasted from people doing it wrong (checking things off a list because they are listed on the front of the box, but not looking in the box to verify it was there).

I recommend taking at least one digital image of every item while you do it as well. They do not have to be perfect print quality images, just a couple of clear snapshots back and front, that not only helps verify everything, but records some basic condition details at a specific time. I did this by taking a picture of the tag, then the artifact. tag then artifact.. or number written out with the artifact. that way when you have hundreds or thousands of files you can easily see them in the computer in order to rename the files by object number.

If you cannot focus on it for a long time, break it up somehow, by room, or section. When they all come together you will find that half your missing items are actually there, and a lot of records that looked perfect are actually wrong...

Have a system for temporary numbering of mystery items, stopping to solve mysteries will waste a ton of time in the midst of the inventory,  most will sort themselves out later on when more things are recorded. I usually used the current year with a letter in front that makes it easily identifiable as found during this inventory (like x2016.1...), that makes it easy to double check them when all is done and compare to missing or poorly documented items.

Also, make sure to have the database have a clear easily searchable field to see what items have been verified. That way, when you are done, you can find the records of the things that were never seen in the process.

I have done countless detailed inventories and the hardest part is staying focused on the set things you need the most: unique number,  image, object name, material, color,  location.

The rest of the details can be added or clarified later in small doses.

It is very slow at first while creating and streamlining your systems and workspace, but once you get a system it speeds up a lot.