Hi Kelsey,

I'm reasonably new to the field but have had about 5 years of experience working in collections at one capacity or another. When I began as collections manager, one of the first things I did was a wall-to-wall inventory. The collection was long overdue for one anyway and it helped me become even more familiar with the museum's 4,000 objects. This also allowed me to make sure every object's file (hard file and PP file) was in order. You wouldn't believe the mysteries that project helped put to rest!

Obviously an inventory is something that takes some time so it is possible you are not in a position to undertake a project like that right now. I was able to do it because we happened to be closed to the public at the time. But I just thought I'd share my experience in case it proves useful.

I'm sure others will have further advice for you!

Best of luck!

Laura