Rachael,

Guessing you’ll get plenty of advice, ranging from keep fighting to head for the hills. Sounds to me (and most of us, I imagine) that the board is beyond being reasoned with. Perhaps. Or perhaps they might listen to a ‘peer,’ someone from the board of another museum that once did things the way they do. Perhaps. If you can’t make that happen, can you enlist a donor (of objects) who might remind the board whose treasures they’re putting at risk?

By the way, what benefits does the board see in including artifacts in the parade? The ‘why?” question is always revealing; the answer often opens up a range of options previously unexplored.

Good luck. Hope they’re paying you well for your troubles.

Dean

Dean Krimmel, Creative Museum Services/Qm2

Helping Museums and Cultural Nonprofits

423 Range Road  Baltimore, MD 21204

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deankrimmel> ; @deankrimmel; www.qm2.org <http://www.qm2.org/>

My colleagues in the Qm2 community of consultants are

 --Mary Case, Qm2

--John & Anita Durel, Durel Consulting Partners

--Dale Jones, Making History Connections

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

       Bill Nye (yes, the Science Guy)