From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kelsey Perrigo
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2016 12:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Advice for a new collections manager in a small museum?

Hello everyone! I recently became the Collections Manager for a small museum. I have museum collections experience but this is my first time as collections manager and want to do the job correctly. The museum, thankfully, is in a newer building and the collections are relatively well cared for.

What would you say are some of your first priorities when you begin a job as a collections manager?

Also, the vast majority of our collections have strange accession numbers (i.e. P-287) and I was curious if that is something I should consider addressing immediately or if that is something to tackle at a later date. At the moment, everything is easily found in PastPerfect.

Thanks!
Kelsey

[X]