Did I miss something or did the writer neglect to describe or identify the museum they’re talking about?  It matters. I am not sure what is meant by “a community attic” but I can cite and produce pictures of 100s of items that - thank God - got saved despite being things some among us might have rolled our eyes at  - at one point or another. Big museums - art museums especially - tend to be hierarchical and narrow in their sense of what’s important. And guess what - that changes.  That said, issues of redundancy matter. The key to good collecting is know what you’re there for - and if its a community-based historical org - as most museums are - then covering as much chronological and thematic subject matter as possible - recognizing that big stuff is more costly to preserve than smaller things. Strive for diversity. As to what to collect from the post WW II era - we live in an increasingly homogenized world. I am not sure anyone will worry if you don’t have artifacts that prove McDonalds had a local outlet in the 20th century. Its the things that speak to a town’s distinctive identity and that is - in a sense - a problem of social history, industrial history and anthropology as much as art, decorative arts or manuscripts. The most important thing - is to be skillfully acquisitive - try to raise money for a purchase fund for the inevitable occasions when something will pop up on the market that you must have; try to avoid relying entirely on donations and be strong enough to say “thank you but we have this kind of thing already.” Directors - often on the frontline of community relations - have a hard time saying no - so a good policy helps.  I had several curatorial jobs and consultancies one the years that involved pruning, deaccessioning and consolidating collections so sprawling that the staff couldn’t even find things. Had a situation once were I “discovered” one of the clients most prized possessions - that “we couldn’t find for year” in a storage maze of chaos. It should NEVER get that bad. Dozens of sympathy cards from a funeral of someone NOT of major historical significance sounds like a problem. Sampling is good. I might go through the pile and pick a couple best ones.

William Hosley
Terra Firma Northeast
Cultural Resource Marketing & Development Consultant
860-944-8349
Join me on Facebook "Creating Sense of Place for CT",  "Housing History", "Our History Matters!" & more
Skype - william.hosley
Twitter - @BillHosley
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/billhosley
http://www.ctvisit.com