I can understand the conservator's caution, but as a collection manager you
also have an obligation to try to preserve the historical and scientific
integrity of the objects (the vials of essential oils). Opening and
emptying the vials means you would intentionally damage the historic and
research value of the objects. Before taking a step that drastic, you might
want to consider proceeding more cautiously:

1. First, examine the vials and their seals. What materials are they made
of? How stable are these materials?
2. Is there any evidence than any of the vials are leaking?
3. If there is no obvious evidence of leakage, set up a monitoring program
to detect leakage either in storage or on exhibit. For example, you can do
this by weighing the individual vials, measuring the level of fluid in each
vial, and documenting the vials with color images.
4. If possible, determine what sort of oil is in the vials. Some oils are
more volatile than others, some more corrosive than others.
5. Evaluate how the vials will be used. For display only? For research
purposes? Can they be isolated in an exhibit case or storage in case they
do later start leaking?

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies