Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly since 1998 by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   " I love Global Museum! I pull stories for my weekly email to our
docents and they enjoy them too. My colleagues even asked to know where I
found them because the stories are so interesting. " - User Feedback   ***

Four Pages of the Latest Museum News & Free Online subscription.
http://www.globalmuseum.org .

**  Marilyn Monroe's "vulnerability and humanity" shown in glittering
display of personal items

Marilyn Monroe was a part-time poet and artist with a love of naïve still
life drawings and figure studies, according to a new exhibition featuring
the original costumes she wore

**  A Gecko Walks Into A Museum...And Cleans Up

The Yale team is also currently working with conservators at the
university’s Institute for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage to refine
the gecko adhesive for actual museum use

**  Against the Crowdfunding Economy

The non-profit fundraising world raises the frightening spectre of an
undemocratic welfare state run solely on donations and subject to the
caprices of the wealthy

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 3,924?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social
Network - Meet& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum,
Join A Group.

Become one of our first 4,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  The Selfie Has Become a Museum Menace

At the British Museum in London, I tried but failed to grab a look at the
Rosetta Stone, because of the mass of swinging hands aggressively thrusting
selfie sticks and cameras flashing

**  How Dalí almost suffocated bringing surrealism to Britain

Eighty years ago, as Dylan Thomas served boiled string, Salvador Dalí put on
a diving suit, grabbed a billiard cue – and changed British art for ever

**  A Shocking Find In a Neanderthal Cave In France

The new findings have ushered a transformation of the Neanderthal from a
knuckle-dragging savage rightfully defeated in an evolutionary contest, to a
distant cousin that holds clues to our identity

**  Life on the Space Station Beamed Into NYC Museum

It's all a part of StationLIFE, an exhibit designed by NASA to show the
science, the technology and a bit of the human side of the space station,
including almost-real-time data from the station itself

_______________

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

134K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,529 Followers worldwide and
growing fast

________________

**  'Jurassic Park' palaeontologist retiring from Montana museum he built

Jack Horner, the palaeontologist who discovered the world’s first dinosaur
embryos and found that dinosaurs had nests and cared for their young, is
leaving the Montana museum he spent decades filling with fossils from across
the globe

**  Sacred Cape and Helmet on Loan to Oahu’s Bishop Museum

Despite the quiet of the museum, there were times I was convinced I could
hear the distant chant of ancient Hawaiians, when in fact the only sounds to
be heard were the clicking of cameras and the voice of our guide

**  Francis Bacon's painting gloves are going to auction – praise be!

The paint-splattered gloves are proof that we worship artists’ relics – from
Turner’s paint box to Pollock’s brushes – as traces of genius in their own
right

**  Oldest handwritten documents in UK unearthed in London dig

Tertius the Brewer, Junius the Cooper and Julius Classicus – the
up-and-coming military commander who would turn traitor against Rome a
decade later – have sprung back to life from the first decade of Roman
London

_____________

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 2,148 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

_____________

**  Museum of Russian impressionist art opens in Moscow

The move is hugely ironic: the Bolsheviks, who glorified Soviet realism,
shunned impressionist art up until the political thaw of the 1960s

**  Top 23 Museums in London - Infographic

I love museums and haven’t been to nearly enough of these, but I can vouch
for the Science Museum, The National Portrait Gallery, The Natural History
Museum, The British Museum, and my favourite, The Tate Modern

**  There’s a museum for everything. Even Civil War battles — depicted by
cats

In September, in the shadow of the historic battlefield here, twins Rebecca
and Ruth Brown opened Civil War Tails, possibly America’s most whimsical war
museum

**  Pranksters put glasses on museum floor, people think it's art

As SFMOMA expressed in response to the antic, Khayatan’s move isn’t all that
different from Marcel Duchamp’s notorious art prank “The Fountain,“ a signed
urinal placed atop a pedestal, which has gone from intellectual hoax to one
of the most iconic and influential artworks of all time

__

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

1.65K Pins, 361 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

__

**  Museum show explores 'Science of Fear'

This is the first comprehensive exhibit on fear that engages visitors with
fun experiences that trigger an authentic fear response and then motivates
them to learn how the brain and body work together in response to danger

**  Tutankhamun's knife of meteoric origin

Researchers were able to match the chemical composition of the blade to a
meteorite named Kharga, which was found in 2000 on the Maras Matruh plateau
in Egypt, 150 miles west of Alexandria

**  Shiver me timbers! Remains of fabled warship

The bones of a great ship once captained by Jane Austen’s brother and hidden
for almost two centuries returns to public view as the centrepiece of
Command of the Oceans, a major new gallery opening at Chatham Historic
Dockyard museum

**  Has Aristotle's Tomb Been Found? Archaeologists Doubt Claims

An archaeologist thinks he has found the tomb of Aristotle at Stagira, an
ancient city where the Greek philosopher lived for much of his life

__

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles – 194,948 in Circles.   10,825 in Community
so far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

__

**  In Brussels, Art Museum Brings Hope to Muslim Neighbourhood

To attract young people from the neighbourhood of about 100,000 people, the
museum’s founders have sought to form alliances with schools and have taken
steps to create a cultural exchange with the nearby Brussels Boxing Academy

**  Scottish Migration and the Wool Industry in Colonial Australia with
Rebecca Evans

The Johnston Collection - East Melbourne

**  Symposium on the Evolution of Marine Mammals in Tbilisi

Georgian National Museum on 29 September - 1 October 2016

**  Mingei of Japan: Treasures New and Old

Mingei International Museum

**  Helpful Museum Map

Highlights Exhibits Visitors Don’t Have To Feel Too Bad About Skipping

All the latest Museum News, Views & Vacancies plus Bookshop, Museum Store,
Resume Postings, Museum Studies Listing & More.

Global Museum -  since 1998 www.globalmuseum.org.