From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">leonard cicero
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2016 5:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Precautions for exhibiting live plants among other artworks

I have some concerns regarding including a work of art in an upcoming exhibition that will contain live plants.

1.  The materials (i.e. soil, dirt, moss and plants) will be arriving for installation after other works in the show will be installed.

2. The artwork housing these elements will be open and suspended above the ground

3. The work will require special lighting needs that may effect more light sensitive pieces near this one.

While we seem to have figured out how to deal with the special lighting needs, my questions are:

-has anyone dealt with similar works in an otherwise fine art gallery environment?
-besides using sterilized (treated) soil, are there any suggestions on how to mitigate the possibility of insect infestation in the galleries?
-do you think this micro-climate, while mostly encased in a terrarium, but open on the bottom, will change the overall humidity conditions in the gallery? (it will need to be occasionally watered to keep the plants alive).
-are there  other concerns I have not yet mentioned but should be considering?

Thanks in advance to all how answer.

Leonard M. Cicero