Jakob,

As a conservator with many years experience with historic firearms I recommend not keeping the pistols in the holsters. Leather (and most skins) have natural fatty acids that can corrode metal (especially brass and copper), plus leather can have dressings (oils and soaps) that can corrode metals too. I advise separating them, and stuffing the inside of the holsters with acid-free tissue if you want to maintain it's shape if the shape comes from the pistol being in it for many years.

Usually associated things like pistols and holsters will have the same accession number with an "A" and a "B" added so that they have distinct records but are recognized as associated objects.

I am teaching an online course on the "Care and Conservation of Historic Firearms" starting on June 6th. Here's the link if you're interested.
www.firearmscareclass13.eventbrite.com

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA  USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com