From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Simon
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Streaming videos/games and fair use

Sigh. Just because content is available on the Internet does NOT mean it is free for anyone to use as they wish.
1. Find out who owns the copyright. In most cases, it is the producer of the video. But remember that on YouTube people also upload content they did not create.
2. Ask the copyright holder for permission to use the content, spelling out exactly how it will be used and whether you (or your museum) will profit financially from the use.
3. Many things on the Internet are public domain or Creative Commons, but there is absolutely no reason to assume the content you want to use is openly available. If the site doesn't say so, assume the opposite.
4. Don't try to guess whether your use of the content falls under Fair Use.If you think it does, ask a copyright lawyer. Better yet (and cheaper), just ask the copyright holder for permission.
5. If you can't find out who holds the copyright, your best course is probably to find alternative content.

Whether you get sued for copyright infringement is really just part of the consideration here. The other part is simple courtesy and respect for the creative rights and property of others.
Elizabeth Simon
Publications Manager
Council on Social Work Education