There is still room in our April 2016 Online Courses Beginning April 4, 2016 and April 11, 2016.  Come join our wonderful instructors in some fascinating courses!

MS 104: An Introduction to Collections Preservation

April 4 to 29, 2016

Instructor:  Helen Alten

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Every museum professional needs a solid foundation in preservation principles and techniques. Introduction to Collections Preservation provides an overview of current preservation issues from environmental monitoring to collection cleaning, exhibit mounts and storage furniture. Participants learn about every aspect of the modern museum and how the building, staff and fixtures affect preservation. Subjects include the agents of deterioration, risk management, object handling and transport, object labeling, exhibit lighting, security, emergency preparedness, materials for storage and display, storage and exhibit philosophies, and condition assessments.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/introduction-collections-preservation-line-course

MS 106: Exhibit Fundamentals:  Ideas to Installation

April 4 to May 13, 2016

Instructor:  Karin Hostetter

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Nearly every museum develops exhibits, but how can we improve communication with visitors while taking care of our objects? Exhibit Fundamentals explores exhibits from idea to final installation in a variety of settings. Topics include exhibit theory, the role of the museum's mission, creating a timeline, accessibility and script writing. Also covered are design elements, installation techniques, object safety and security, visitor safety and evaluations. Each student develops an exhibit plan for his or her museum.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/exhibit-fundamentals-ideas-installation-line-course

MS 209: Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions

April 4 to May 13, 2016

Instructor:  Kimberly Kenney

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Acquiring and holding collections impose specific legal, ethical and professional obligations. Museums must ensure proper management, preservation and use of their collections. A well-crafted collections management policy is key to collections stewardship. Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions helps participants develop policies that meet professional and legal standards for collections management. Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions teaches the practical skills and knowledge needed to write and implement such a policy. The course covers the essential components and issues a policy should address. It also highlights the role of the policy in carrying out a museum's mission and guiding stewardship decisions. Participants are expected to draft collections management policies.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/collections-management-policies-museums-and-related-institutions-line-course

MS 214: Collections Management Databases

April 4 to 29, 2016

Instructor:  Sarah Kapellusch

Location: http://museumclasses.org

A collection database is a necessary tool for accurate and efficient collections management. In Collection Management Databases you will learn what characteristics distinguish one database system from another; how a database can be used to manage inventory, conservation, pest management, and other aspects of collections management; as well as how to prepare your collection and documentation for entry into a database.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/collection-management-databases-line-course

MS 223: Care of Metals

April 4 to May 13, 2016

Instructor: Fiona Graham

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Outdoor sculpture, silver tea service, gold jewelry, axe head, wheel rim - metals are found in most museum collections and may be stored or displayed indoor or outdoors depending on the object. Learn how to identify different types of metal and their alloys. Gain an understanding of how and why metals deteriorate and methods for preventing deterioration from occurring or continuing. The pros and cons of different popular treatments will be covered along with recommendations for the least damaging approach to treatment. Care of Metals provides a simplified explanation of the chemistry and structure of metals, explaining the importance of the galvanic series and electrochemistry in care strategies. Starting with an overview of the history and function of metals and how they are made, the course will cover guidelines for handling, labeling, exhibiting and storing metals. An overview of treatments, including cleaning, used on metals and how appropriate they are for the long-term preservation of the metal object will help students make care decisions when consulting with conservators.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/care-metals-line-course

MS 237: Formative Evaluations for Exhibits and Public Programs

April 4 to 29, 2016

Instructor: Karin Hostetter

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Have you done some evaluation but did not get helpful information? Do you wish you could do evaluations, but think it is too hard or too expensive? Do you wonder how to get people to use an offered program more? Evaluations are feasible and easy. This course will help you determine what you really want to know, choose the right process to gather the information, develop meaningful questions, and figure out what the results tell you. Please have a program or text in mind (real or imagined) to work with during the course. Note: this course will not be looking at statistical analysis.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/formative-evaluations-exhibits-and-public-programs-online-course

MS 001: The Problem with Plastics

April 11 to 15, 2016

Instructor: Diana Komejan

Location: http://museumclasses.org

As we march boldly toward the 22nd century, artifact collecting includes that most fragile of materials - plastic. Not only is it in our collections, but it is used to house our collections, too. What problems have you seen? What problems have others seen? What materials are best? What can we, as caretakers, do to minimize long-term damage? Join Diana in this mini-course for discussing care and deterioration of plastics. Bring any questions you have about plastics in your museum.

For more information or to sign up:  http://www.collectioncare.org/problem-plastics-line-short-course

Feel free to contact me with questions

Peggy Schaller
Northern States Conservation Center