Emanuele,

As you know the most danger comes from materials that outgass organic acids inside airtight cases,containers, or that are in physical contact with archives, objects, and art.

In an large space with good air exchange it is far less an issue, although you still are creating a form of air pollution inside the space.

Your best bet is to specify that all new furniture only use materials that are rated no to low VOC, not only the wood, but also the glues, paints, and finishes.

It's not only good for the collection, it's good for people too!.

Here's an informative online source on the topic for homeowners:
http://www.bobvila.com/articles/507-eco-friendly-cabinets/#.Vuw-rEA3FOY

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey