Robin,

While Bronze plaques are pretty standard over the years they do suffer from the breakdown of the lacquer, the erosion of the blacking for letters and numbers, stains, drip-lines, corrosion, and more. Some people mistakenly polish plaques which just increases their deterioration outdoors. So with bronze you are investing in a maintenance issue in future years.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant