So I am rather partial to HDPE plastic in the type of application you are speaking of, but there are so many choices, you may wish to talk to a sign company. HDPE can have a lot of colors and as the text is engraved, it is very durable and can look quite attractive in the right colors. Do a search for HDPE Plastic routed signs.

I work in parks and so much of the signage I have done has to be pretty resilient to extreme conditions. I have worked with woodproductsigns.com for small custom jobs and been quite satisfied with everything they have done for us.

Good luck!

Sarah