This makes me sad and angry for you.

What a wonderful way to tell you that your past contributions to the organization really don't matter. In my opinion, if the pay grade is the same and the move is essentially lateral your salary should remain the same. This smells a little like the other department, or HR, already has a preferred candidate in mind that they know will work for less and they are actively discouraging your transfer.

You deserve better.

Dan