Well, this is real life in the exhibit business from my perspective. You've got a new group of students presumably, and these sites can't possibly be identical, similar but not identical. If you're actually doing an exhibit plan with interpretive signage and interactives, it's a real-life challenge to get creative and meet the needs of both clients without giving them identical products. Seems to me that this is a learning opportunity as much as it is a potential conflict.

Kate Cravens
Exhibit Developer

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Feb 15, 2016 10:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Dilemma

Hello All:

Our student-led interpretive planning firm completed a project last summer for a cultural organization planning new traditional exhibits and interpretation for a historic house. We have now been approached by a second heritage group in the same geographic area that wants planning done for traditional exhibits and (potentially) also historic house. Same type of collection, same focus as the first client, same rural location economics, same competing regional sites, etc.

If we took this job we would essentially be replicating last summer's project. Last summer's client paid well for a comprehensive report. We can't just give the same report and recommendations to the new client as the info is proprietary to the original client. I can't with good conscience charge the second client what we charged the first client knowing how much background research we have already done that's already been paid for.

I'm considering suggesting to the second client that they approach the original client and ask if they can buy a copy of the report. Then if the second client wants to go further with specific recommendations for their own site we can contract specifically for that work using the original report's basics in good conscience.

But if the original client declines to make their report available, what should we do? Thoughts?

Dan

--
Dan Bartlett
Curator of Exhibits and Education