As a consumer and museum professional, I definitely look up an institution's website before visiting...and if the website is scanty on information or images and appears somewhat "half-baked" I'm actually less likely to go. If I see a lot of virtual content it tells me that a flesh and blood person cares enough to sit down and put content on the site. I'm in favor of virtual tours. Just my totally unsolicited 2 cents. Have a good day everybody!
-Mary "Kate" McCarthy