When I was at the Hastings Museum, we got hit with a rather insidious one that specifically targets small business and nonprofits, believing that we don't have the legal knowledge or resources to fight back. Basically, the scam is that someone calls claiming to represent your local Yellow Pages, wanting to "verify" your listing.  Unbeknowst to you, they will record the conversation, or they'll say they're recording it for training purposes.  If the victims say "yes" or something similar during the conversation, they splice it in to a prerecorded conversation about authorizing enrollment for their "premium" web directory listing services. Then they send postdated invoices claiming that your payment is overdue, so there are late fees, etc. added to the amount due. If you call to complain, they play back the recording at you, claiming that they are legally owed the money because someone at your business authorized the charges. Here's the FTC link & description with more detail and other variants: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/small-business-scams

In our particular case, I went straight to the Better Business Bureau and the FCC, and eventually got asked to submit evidence in a deposition that shut down one of them. The main problem is that the original Yellow Pages either never registered or has let lapse the name and logo, so there are a ton of imposters out there, including lots of scammers using it as cover.

Good luck!

Scott Heath

W. Scott Heath

Operations Manager